- Arrange with a neighbor to pick up and hold your mail
and newspapers so they don’t pile up.
If this is not possible, notify your news carrier and the
post office to discontinue these deliveries.
- Make arrangements to have grass cut and watered while
you are gone. Have someone check daily to remove
throwaway papers and circulars from your doorway and
- If you have valuables in the house, take them to your
bank for storage in a safety deposit box. Deposit extra
cash in your bank account.
- Notify your local police agency about your departure
and return dates and give a name and telephone number of
a neighbor or relative to notify in case of a burglary,
fire or other emergency.
- Make sure any broken windows, door locks or window
locks are repaired.
- Arrange with a neighbor or relative to watch your
house. Let them know where and how you can be reached in
an emergency. Write their telephone number down so you
can check with them during your
- Move all ladders, tools, lawn implements, garbage
cans and yard furniture to your garage or storage