The purpose of the Shelby County Sheriff's Office Law Enforcement Explorer Program is to prepare young people with a working knowledge of law enforcement policy/procedures to make ethical and moral choices in their journey should they pursue a career in the criminal justice field and to overall become outstanding and contributing members of society!
CLICK HERE FOR A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE EXPLORERS
To become an Explorer, students must be between the ages of 14-17 yrs. and complete the following:
- Submit an application online:
Applications are accepted January through December of each year
Sign Up Now!
- Attend Applicant Processing at SCSO Training Academy (dates are tentative)
- Letters will be mailed to applicants in March
- Applicant must pass the agility test which consists of (Quad-hop, Broad-jump, Dips, Sit-ups, Chin-ups, Push-ups, Dummy Drag and One mile run under 11 mins) (AGILITY TEST subject to change) / April
- Applicant Interviews / April
- Applicant Orientation #1 / April
- Applicant Orientation #2 / May
- Pay non-refundable $50 fee & order Recruit Uniform
- Attendance is MANDATORY throughout all phases to be eligible for Explorer Recruit Academy
- Explorer Basic Recruit Class at SCSO Training Academy 993 Dove Crest (dates are tentative)
- Class begins end of May
- Tues, Thurs, Sat / 8 am - 4:00 pm
- Recruits may only have three (3) absences and pass all physical agility test
- Graduation July
- Upon graduation, students and parents attend meetings that are scheduled once a month and work various events that include Sheriff's Office and community service assignments as well as program fundraisers. Continued participation is based on the students' attendance at meetings, obtaining required monthly hours, grades in school, and conduct. Residency is NOT an issue as long as the student is on time for ALL activities. (THIS IS A PARENT PARTICIPATION PROGRAM)
- Renewal fees are $25 per person annually.